Sunday, September 02, 2007

&*^%# Cake


This is the last thing that went well on the practice cake. (It is supposed to be Optimus Prime, the lead Transformer, in his truck form)

It's covered in Spackle Paste, a mixture of butter cream and cake scraps that makes the frosting a lot more stable. It was supposed to make the fondant look better.



In fact, I threw in the towel on the whole deal. Ready to go to the closest grocery store and order a cake. But dadgumit the towel put itself right back in my hands because NO ONE sells Transformers cakes. Not that it was like this huge blockbuster or anything. Sure, there's Yugi-oh or whatever the heck it is called cakes, but can you believe one of the bakery gals actually asked me what Transformers are? OK, I totally get that that you don't go to the movies often, but this movie was all over the place, dontcha think?



Needless to say, since the goody bags are already Transformered out...I am probably going to give the cake another go.



The problems started occurring because I had to load in massive quantities of Super Red and Royal Blue food coloring into the fondant (Optimus Prime colors). The combination of that and the heat (even with the AC set to 70) made it mush, absolute mush.


So if I'm going to do this, I'm going to purchase fondant that is pre-colored so I only have to tweak the color a bit instead of trying to turn white fondant into Super Red fondant.



Wish me luck. I'm going to need it.



And if it doesn't work out, I'm going to have to rename myself.

3 comments:

Piecake said...

The things we do for our kids...Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

What kind of coloring do you use? The ones you mentioned don't sound like Wilton?

And have you ever tried that marshmallow fondant?

Aspiring, but not so good, cake decorator here!

Shauna Loves Chocolate said...

You're amazing to even attempt that.