Saturday, February 17, 2007

That really ugly cake

About that really ugly cake... The one I refused to post about in my last post. It was indeed ugly. I had lost any semblance of patience by the time I got to it, so it ended up being a really badly non-decorated heart cake. It was a chocolate fudge heart cake with a chocolate peanut butter filling, a thin layer of buttercream on top; and semi-sweet ganache (a mixture of heavy cream and chocolate) poured completely over it. I have discovered that I need to let my cakes sit for at least two days before making any judgement on taste. The night I made it I was so disgusted with it that nothing about it tasted good. I didn't like the filling, I forgot to put vanilla extract in the cake, the buttercream was too thin, and the ganache was too *semi* and not *sweet* enough. HOWEVER, two days later, after 15 seconds in the microwave (I did this because the pb filling needed to be refrigerated, and a refrigerated cake should be put back to room temp before serving as far as I'm concerned) and MY GOODNESS, this cake was FANTASTIC. Looks be darned. It was GOOD. Seriously, a freaking fantastic tasting cake. I will definately be perfecting my ganache technique because as far as taste goes, that is definately a signature cake. Of course, if you are not fond of chocolate, this might not be your cup of tea, but if you are, you will crave one of these puppies during your worst PMS. I really think I am good at making cakes! That's hard for me to say because I am really critical of my cooking, but my cakes have really turned out well. I will be venturing into new flavors soon, but I am just so happy knowing I've got my staple recipes now!

No comments: